Sunday, August 17, 2008

We Be Sushi


I never wanted to eat at We Be Sushi and have avoided it for years. I tend to eat at immaculately clean-looking sushi restaurants which has something to do, I believe, with an underlying nervousness about eating raw fish. These "immaculately clean" restaurants inevitably translate to spectacularly expensive. Regardless, last week I went with a friend to We Be Sushi and was surprised by its fantastic food coupled with its reasonable price. I went back by myself the following day for lunch (see above). As it turns out, I was also synchronously reading Yasunari Kawabata's Thousand Cranes at the time. Kawabata, by the way, studied to be a painter but published a novel at an early age and consequently became a writer instead. The book reads like a visual poem. The story of an ill-fated love affair is imbued with larger universal significance though the ageless beauty of the ceramic tea cups and bowls used in the tea ceremony.













No comments: